Skip to main content

A day in New York City

2012/10/16 - New York City, New York, United States of America


NY, NY, you just never know what might happen. I was traveling to my airbnb host's place. I just got off the subway at 2nd Ave on the F line. And headed down Allen St. towards Stranton St. And I saw the film crews. Fuck yeah—I thought to myself. These are the things that make me love New York so much. You just walk down the street suspecting nothing and then next minute there's something happening around the next corner.

They were filming infront of TMS (The Meatball Shop). It was Celebrity-Meatballs time. I figured I'd hang around once I saw the all cameras around. Next thing you know there is there is thunder rolling down the street. Orange County Choppers thunder that is.

They were driving up Allen St. and pulled into Stranton St. with three custom bikes. A lot of commotion and everybody was looking. Guess that's the point of all the noise they were making.

I used to watch the show often a while back. Was kinda nice to know the guy is every bit as authentic in real life. The stash, the bike, the shades it's all part of the character, seems like an act on TV but actually feels like he's every bit like that in person.

TMS was having a charity event. There were a bunch of other celebs there as well. I said 'Hi' to the Richard Howland a.k.a. Trick the Blood King from TV's Lost Girl. He's a very friendly character and has a real warm smile.

It was my first hour in NYC and I feel like I already have seen a lot. I mean it's actually nothing big, but the just the serendipity that always seems to hit me in this town is why I love to keep coming back.

I don't know excactly where they'll be showing the footage from the event. But it seems they caught me on camera taking my pictures at the event. They asked me for a model release. So if you see me on TV let me know where.

Like mentioned earlier I was actually on the way to my "hotel". But my host wasn't going to be in until 4 p.m. so I had another 2-ish hours to kill. I took a stroll towards Little Italy since I was in the area. And visited the Crumpler store on Spring St. The girl at the counter was super helpful. I had broken and lost a strap on my Crumpler bag about a year ago and she was able to get me a free replacement. She also gave me a hint on where to grab a bite and have a good coffee. The Grey Dog on Mullberry St. Which is where I am right now and writing this.






Nice little place that will serve coffee, snacks, and whole meals. I opted for a fresh brew of beans and some banana bread, which was homemade. Very delicious. Actually even better than the one my mom used to make us when we were kids. The place has a really relaxed atmosphere and is lit with warm lights to make you feel really comfortable. They play a mix of rock and alternative music which really went well to my ears. The crowd was very relaxed, cool and youthful. Not really any tourists I noticed. Apart from myself, even though I don't count myself as one since I always felt local when being here. Mostly because my dad had a place in town. So it was more of a second home to me. The interior kind of had a saloon/old wild west feeling to it. Nice old wooden floors and old wooden panels on the wall. The menu was hand drawn on wooden plaques. Makes you feel warm and comfortable.

After that I decided to head to my hosts place. I met her and her kid, finally dropped off my bags and headed towards the WTC construction site, with a slight detour through China Town.


I enjoyed the sites and took a few photographs until the sun was pretty much all gone. Then I grabbed a bit to eat and made my way back on foot to LES. Time for some zzzs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dublin here I come

Irish Pubs, Dublin Originally uploaded by LauDeLyon I'll be in Dublin next week. I've never been to any part of Great Britain. I'm very excited to get to know the people and culture of this town. I'm traveling with my girlfriend and group of friends. We were trying to find a common date for a vacation for the last three or four years. I'm glad it finally happened. I hope I will also get a chance to see more than the typical tourist attractions.

What's in my bag?

So lets see here. Johannes Kleske wrote on imgriff.com about sharing what's in your bag on a daily basis on his post . And called for other bloggers to share. I'll follow this one up right here. So what do I take with me every day? my MacBook including a Crumpler Gimp power brick and MDVI to VGA adapter for my MacBook Apple Remote for presentations old headphones from my 3G iPod some pens and a pencil & eraser my business cards a Moleskine for on the go notes my trusty point and shoot HP R717 Cables(cross-over Ethernet, power extention, USB cable for cam, audio jack with adapter a small 256MB USB stick for quick transfers ear plugs in case it gets really noisy where I am a spare pair of contact lenses and some eye drops some chap stick, tic tacs and winter green chewing gum, and some paper handkerchiefs a small "survival kit" with a lighter a knife and a flash light and a glow stick. (Although I have to leave the lighter and the knife at home when I go by plan

You have to start sometime.

Well I guess I always wanted my own blog. I never seemed to find the time for it. Finally I have time. It's my birthday today. I'm very old now. :D Yes, at an age where I don't tell my age anymore. Well not really. I just don't want to admit becoming a year older again. I hope this new year starts of better than the last one ended. The last 3 weeks before my birthday a lot of my stuff started breaking. First my PC. It overheated because the fan stopped on me. Then I found out my RAM also broke. Yesterday, the chair in my office wanted to throw me on the floor as it broke down. Well, wish me luck.