Skip to main content

The duck has to go!

I'm using this to give a short update on my declutter effort. And since spring cleaning is just around the corner for a lot of you; getting a few tips head start won't hurt.

I haven't gotten to a point yet that I am comfortable with yet. Albeit, the path is proving to be fruitful. I've thrown out lots of stuff I haven't used in long while. Even things I would have hung onto emotionally in the past. It's true what they say. It gets easier over time.

Similar to the Zero-Inbox phenomenon; once you get use to deleting e-mails while you're processing them you get really fast and good at throwing away what you don't need anymore.

I'm not necessarily decluttering because I need more space but to get the stuff out of my life that I don't have any use for anymore. And somethings I just want to get rid of because they are bulky and ugly. I currently don't have any designated storage room anywhere in the apartment. Things I do keep, wonder into closets and drawers, or worse on top of closets.

So what kind of stuff has to go? Mostly things in the "hey this might be useful one day" category. These are usually items such as pieces of cables, spare parts to some device you don't even own anymore, or magazines that contain some tidbit of info you might want to access within the next 2 years. The way I deal with this currently: If I haven't used it in the last 2 years then I throw it out. I'm going to stick with that until I've gone through about every box, drawer, and closet in my apartment. Keeping at it, is ridding me of a lot of unnecessary garbage. When I'm through I'll try to narrow the parameter, to one year. (Iterative processes are the new buzz after all)

I started with what I could get rid of the easiest. Magazines. Even-though I amwas the sort of person who didn't like to throw away printed words. It always made me feel like throwing away part of my knowledge, or knowledge in general. But modern day Internet gives me no more excuses to keep outdated stale knowledge in form of magazines around anymore. Heck I don't even buy them very often anymore. Usually only if they come with good freebies, as DVDs or software.

After that I started at my man pile. Man pile, huh, what's that? You might be asking yourself right now. Well if you have to ask. It's that "pile" of boxes you have(assuming your a guy) with a bunch of cables, old hardware, tools, scraps, power bricks and what have you in them. Just about every guy has one of these piles and usually we tend to nurture them over the years. (And the thing is women might not speek up about it but it often drives them mad.)
Do I really still need a PCI Diamond Monster 3D 4MB VRAM video accelerator card? The frak I don't. I haven't even had a PC that can interface that thing for the last 1.5 years. Let alone, would have any benefit of using it. Out, out, out. It has to go. It's mostly all just emotional baggage none of us need anymore.
Sure it feels cool to go on a geek-spasm and reminisce about the "good old days" that nobody would wish upon themselves today. But, you can do that without the physical stuff collecting dust in your man pile.

Toss it!

Power brick you don't own the device for anymore.
Toss it now!

Maybe you could use it down the road? Probably not. Make an exception if it outputs 5 or 12 volts, since that's pretty common amongst devices(That is if you are handy with a soldering iron). 5V especially considering USB devices. But you probably wouldn't need 3 of those bricks. I certainly was surprised how many useless bricks(power supply adapters, usually the big bulky black boxes that take up 3 outlets at a time) I had. I threw out so many crap cables, bricks, extension cards, mice, keyboards, cpu-coolers that I had two storage boxes to spare in the end. I threw them out as well. Empty boxes just mean more space for new clutter.

So if you haven't used your rubber duck in a very long time make him leave, even if it means buying a gun and pointing it at the little thing and making the NRA proud of you in the process ;P

Happy decluttering!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's in my bag?

So lets see here. Johannes Kleske wrote on imgriff.com about sharing what's in your bag on a daily basis on his post . And called for other bloggers to share. I'll follow this one up right here. So what do I take with me every day? my MacBook including a Crumpler Gimp power brick and MDVI to VGA adapter for my MacBook Apple Remote for presentations old headphones from my 3G iPod some pens and a pencil & eraser my business cards a Moleskine for on the go notes my trusty point and shoot HP R717 Cables(cross-over Ethernet, power extention, USB cable for cam, audio jack with adapter a small 256MB USB stick for quick transfers ear plugs in case it gets really noisy where I am a spare pair of contact lenses and some eye drops some chap stick, tic tacs and winter green chewing gum, and some paper handkerchiefs a small "survival kit" with a lighter a knife and a flash light and a glow stick. (Although I have to leave the lighter and the knife at home when I go by plan

Dublin here I come

Irish Pubs, Dublin Originally uploaded by LauDeLyon I'll be in Dublin next week. I've never been to any part of Great Britain. I'm very excited to get to know the people and culture of this town. I'm traveling with my girlfriend and group of friends. We were trying to find a common date for a vacation for the last three or four years. I'm glad it finally happened. I hope I will also get a chance to see more than the typical tourist attractions.

You have to start sometime.

Well I guess I always wanted my own blog. I never seemed to find the time for it. Finally I have time. It's my birthday today. I'm very old now. :D Yes, at an age where I don't tell my age anymore. Well not really. I just don't want to admit becoming a year older again. I hope this new year starts of better than the last one ended. The last 3 weeks before my birthday a lot of my stuff started breaking. First my PC. It overheated because the fan stopped on me. Then I found out my RAM also broke. Yesterday, the chair in my office wanted to throw me on the floor as it broke down. Well, wish me luck.